SCONUL is partnering with BUFDG and other professional associations for Research Offices, Estates, Finance, Internal Audit, Procurement, Strategic Planning, IT and HR to offer online Action Learning Sets to Senior Leaders.
An Action Learning Set is a small, confidential forum where each participant brings to the meeting an organisational task, problem, challenge or opportunity on which they intend to act. Having presented the issue to the group, other participants pose questions and raise discussions which help the presenter create insight and options for action. A structured process, supported by a skilled facilitator, is used to ensure that everyone has personal ‘air-time’ as well as the opportunity to contribute to the learning of others. It is through the experience of taking action on return to the workplace that promotes reflection, learning and personal development. Given breadth of knowledge and wider HE understanding is a valuable development experience, these Action Learning Sets provide a fantastic opportunity to learn from others across the sector.
What are the benefits?
- Input from other Senior Leaders in other roles who will challenge your thinking and offer a fresh perspective on organisational issues.
- Development of your active listening and questioning skills to help others gain insight – valuable skills that can be put to use in your normal working environment.
- Exposure to a variety of new and different challenges in other institutions which offers additional learning and a new perspective to broaden your scope of reference.
- Learning the challenges across other functions as your set will contain a mixture of disciplines.
- Consolidation of learning over a medium to long term period, rather than a one-off experience.
- A rare opportunity for time away from the office for deep thinking about pressing issues.
- Development of a trusted network of peers who normally continue to share thinking long after the formal ‘end’ of the action set series.
These Action Learning Sets are aimed at Senior Leaders (Assistant / Deputy Directors / Head of – or equivalent). The sets are being offered to aspiring leaders across the eight associations to ensure a good mix of professions are represented in each. There will be five participants per set. Please note, the sets only run IF we have the right number and mix of candidates.
The rate will be £450 (excluding VAT) per candidate for the full set of six half day sessions. All sessions will be delivered on-line with the facilitator. You need to be able to attend all the scheduled dates in a set. Please register your interest by 5 February via: https://www.bufdg.ac.uk/eventbooking/view?id=4167
For further details please contact Rachel McLone, Learning and Development Manager, BUFDG.