SCONUL feedback on Plan S guidance has been submitted today.
SCONUL has reinforced its strong support for the Plan S vision of immediate open access to all scholarly publications funded by cOAlition S members, and to its broader aim of accelerating the transition to a scholarly publishing system that is characterised by immediate, free online access to, and largely use and re-use of scholarly publications.
The submission highlights where changes to the proposed implementation guidelines might foster these two aims. This includes:
- the need for a pluralistic approach to open access under the guidance, including pay to publish but also green routes
- further work on transformative agreements
- a more lengthy and staged transition period
- including rights retention mechanisms such as the UK SCL
- price caps on APCs while DORA principles are fully implemented
- an approach to specifying infrastructure requirements which focuses on outcomes and principle rather than precise delivery mechanisms.
The submission is available here.