SCONUL has created a list of resources relating to re-opening the physical library. This covers the following areas:
- Formal government advice
- Reopening university spaces including libraries
- Handling materials
- Advice from public and school libraries
- UK government’s guidance for universities in England, which makes specific mention of university libraries. The guidance also discusses social interactions, face coverings, and track and trace. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/higher-education-reopening-bu...
- UK Government’s COVID-19 recovery strategy, including a planned timetable for lifting restrictions https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/our-plan-to-rebuild-the-uk-governments-covid-19-recovery-strategy/our-plan-to-rebuild-the-uk-governments-covid-19-recovery-strategy
- UK Government guidance on plans for reopening businesses and public places in England https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-roadmap-taskforces/covid-19-roadmap-taskforces
- Guidelines from the UK government on working safely during coronavirus (updated 6 October) https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/offices-and-contact-centres
The UK government’s Department of Education has confirmed that it’s regulations on contact tracing apply to academic and research libraries (this applies to English institutions only). https://www.gov.uk/guidance/maintaining-records-of-staff-customers-and-v... (updated 9 October). CILIP has published an advisory note on this issue https://www.cilip.org.uk/news/515964/Advisory-note-Contact-Tracing-for-l...
Covid-19 - further and higher education in England, paper prepared by the Department for Education for the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dfe-covid-19-further-and-high...
Introduction to higher education settings in England – paper by the Department for Education for SAGE https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dfe-introduction-to-higher-ed...
Risks associated with the reopening of education settings in September, paper prepared by Children’s Task and Finish Group and Government Office for Science for SAGE https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/tfc-risks-associated-with-the...
The UK government’s latest advice for England makes it clear that face coverings are required to be worn within libraries (subject to the usual caveats around exemptions). https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-o...
The Welsh government guidance for higher education (updated 9 October) https://gov.wales/guidance-higher-education-keep-wales-safe-covid-19
The Welsh government COVID-19 guidance for higher education in Wales: update September 2020 https://gov.wales/covid-19-guidance-higher-education-wales-update-septem...
The Welsh government traffic lights system on re-opening https://gov.wales/sites/default/files/publications/2020-05/unlocking-our-society-and-economy-continuing-the-conversation.pdf
The Welsh government's COVID-19 workforce risk assessment tool https://gov.wales/covid-19-workforce-risk-assessment-tool
- The Scottish government has announced an opening date for Scottish libraries. 15 July – Museums, galleries, cinemas, monuments, libraries will reopen with physical distancing and other measures, such as ticketing in advance. https://www.gov.scot/news/further-route-map-detail-announced/
- The Scottish Government’s route map through and out of the crisis https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-framework-decision-making-scotlands-route-map-through-out-crisis-phase-1-update/
- The NI Executive’s recovery plan for Northern Ireland https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/coronavirus-recovery-plan
- The Irish Government’s roadmap for reopening society and business https://www.gov.ie/en/news/58bc8b-taoiseach-announces-roadmap-for-reopening-society-and-business-and-u/
- Universities UK briefing setting out the principles for reopening university buildings, and the considerations that should apply under each of those principles. https://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/policy-and-analysis/reports/Pages/principles-considerations-emerging-lockdown-uk-universities-june-2020.aspx
Libraries Connected, the body representing public libraries, has produced a toolkit around reopening library buildings in liaison with Public Health England. It contains useful advice on handling books; developing digital offers, staff safety etc. https://www.librariesconnected.org.uk/news/new-guide-help-libraries-reop...
- AdvanceHE blog on the Creating Socially Distanced Campuses and Education project to tackle the challenge of the 'socially distanced campus'. https://www.advance-he.ac.uk/news-and-views/socially-distanced-campus-education-next-big-question
- Guiding principles from the QAA for higher education providers in planning teaching and assessment for the next year https://www.qaa.ac.uk/news-events/news/preserving-quality-and-standards-through-a-time-of-rapid-change
- A customised reopening layout by thedesignconcept http://designinglibraries.org.uk/documents/TDC_Library_Reopen.pdf
- Article from McKinney and Company on Reopening safely: Sample practices from essential businesses https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/risk/our-insights/reopening-safely-sample-practices-from-essential-businesses?cid=eml-app
- A comprehensive guide from Cushman & Wakefield outlining best thinking and practices for reopening your workplace https://www.cushmanwakefield.com/en/insights/covid-19/recovery-readiness-a-how-to-guide-for-reopening-your-workplace
Safe working: an architectural perspective - Ayub Khan, service manager at Warwickshire County Council, introduces a practical guide produced by architects IF_DO http://www.designinglibraries.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=1681
- Detailed, library specific set of resources from IFLA, coverings issues such as library closures, handling materials, social distancing and delivery services, providing services remotely, reassigning library resources, reopening libraries https://www.ifla.org/covid-19-and-libraries
- 'Service Recovery Checklist' developed by the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA) which includes information on staff support, services that need to be phased in (or out), communications planning, and safety precautions. https://read.alia.org.au/australian-libraries-responding-covid-19-checklist-reopening-libraries
- Guidelines for reopening office spaces from the American Industrial Hygiene Association. https://aiha-assets.sfo2.digitaloceanspaces.com/AIHA/resources/Guidance-Documents/Reopening-Guidance-for-General-Office-Settings_GuidanceDocument.pdf
- Guidelines from the Swiss Library Association, BiblioSuisse, on reopening Libraries http://www.ala.org/advocacy/sites/ala.org.advocacy/files/content/stateandlocal/Swiss%20Guidelines%20%2830%20Apr%202020%29.pdf
- Recommendations comprising hygiene, social distancing and access to services from the German Library Association for reopening of libraries https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sWK6OgUcQ59f6qLTVc8Wp8sgPMnTbsNgNZcCLLqezZE/edit
- The US Institute of Museum and Library Services, OCLC and Battelle are conducting research to inform safe handling of collections, reopening practices for libraries, museums. The project will draw upon the research to produce authoritative, science-based information on how—or if— materials can be handled to mitigate exposure to staff and visitors. https://www.webjunction.org/explore-topics/COVID-19-research-project.html
The first results from the IMLS-funded study of the viability of coronavirus on library materials has been posted. After one day the virus was undetectable on hardback (buckram cloth) covers, softback covers, and plastic DVD cases. It took three days for the virus to become undetectable on the paper inside of a book and mylar book jackets. https://www.imls.gov/news/research-shows-virus-undetectable-five-highly-...
A report from EBLIDA A European Library Agenda for the Post-Covid Age – A Work in Progress, covering an array of new library initiatives, ranging from mask production to helping citizens in lockdown. http://www.eblida.org/news/press-release-covid-19-report.html
- Re-opening check list and risk management framework from the National Archives which includes principles and operational factors that an archive service should take into account when planning for its re-opening. https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archives-sector/our-archives-sector-role/coronavirus-update/making-plans-for-re-opening/
- Public Health England statement on the safe handling of library books https://www.librariesconnected.org.uk/page/public-health-england-statement-safe-handling-library-books
- Guidelines from Libraries Ireland for handling physical material in libraries in relation to COVID-19 https://www.librariesireland.ie/handling-physical-materials-in-libraries-during-covid-19
- Blog post on COVID-19 infection prevention tips for libraries https://medium.com/@janecowell8/covid-19-infection-prevention-tips-for-libraries-67f8e1fd3bf4
As part of the REALM research, Battelle is conducting natural attenuation studies to provide information on how long the virus may survive on materials common to archives, libraries, and museums. https://www.oclc.org/realm/research.html
- Recorded webinar, "Mitigating COVID-19 When Managing Paper-Based, Circulating, and Other Types of Collections", hosted by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) on handling materials in the pandemic. https://www.imls.gov/webinars/mitigating-covid-19-when-managing-paper-based-circulating-and-other-types-collections
- Library Journal article, IMLS, CDC: On Staff Safety, Handling Paper In COVID-19 Pandemic (8 April), summarising the webinar from the IMLS and CDC, "Mitigating COVID-19 When Managing Paper-Based, Circulating, and Other Types of Collections" https://www.libraryjournal.com/?detailStory=imls-cdc-on-staff-safety-handling-paper-in-covid-19-pandemic
- Advice on quarantining and sanitising library books and devices from the Australian Library and Information Association https://www.alia.org.au/resources-libraries#books
- Recommendations for disinfecting books and other materials from the US Northeast Document Conservation Center https://www.nedcc.org/free-resources/preservation-leaflets/3.-emergency-management/3.5-disinfecting-books
- Transcripted video presentation from the US National Center for Preservation Technology and Training explaining cleaning methods for and handling cultural resource materials https://www.ncptt.nps.gov/blog/covid-19-basics-disinfecting-cultural-resources/
- Briefing from the US National Center for Preservation Technology and Training that explores how COVID-19 persists on surfaces and how you can effectively deactivate the virus while preserving valuable cultural resources. https://www.ncptt.nps.gov/blog/cultural-resources-and-covid-19/
- American Libraries article, How to Sanitize Collections in a Pandemic (27 March), which provides advice from several conservators on the proper way to disinfect circulating materials https://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/blogs/the-scoop/how-to-sanitize-collections-covid-19/
- Guidelines to help those responsible ensure that collections and heritage materials remain safe, prepared by the Canadian Conservation Institute COVID-19 Task Force. https://www.cac-accr.ca/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2020/04/cci_covid-19_en_2020-04-17.pdf
- Advice on cleaning books and library surfaces from the Library and Information Association of New Zealand Aotearoa - https://lianza.org.nz/covid-19/#cleaning-books
- Summary from Gresswell on how to safely quarantine materials and manage returned materials https://blog.wf-education.com/bts-book-cleaning
- Resources from the Connecticut Library Consortium for cleaning and disinfecting library and materials after COVID-19 https://www.ctlibrarians.org/page/c19reopen
- Unlocking libraries - CoLRiC Guidance for post lockdown reopening – general guidance aimed at FE colleges covering book returns, quarantining items, social distancing, services, cleaning of spaces and general tips. http://www.colric.org.uk/showlog.php?weblogid=445
- Guidance from CILIP to inform discussions between school library staff and school leadership about the safe re-commencement of physical and digital library services in primary and secondary schools https://www.cilip.org.uk/news/506793/COVID-19-Guidance-for-School-Libraries.htm
- Public Libraries News article (23 May) on when and how will public libraries reopen in England https://www.publiclibrariesnews.com/about-public-libraries-news/coronavirus-public-library-ideas-and-responses/when-and-how-will-public-libraries-reopen-in-england
- Public Library News article (31 May) that contains information, picked up from the UK and internationally, listing different approaches to reopening while Coronavirus is still endemic to some extent. https://www.publiclibrariesnews.com/about-public-libraries-news/coronavirus-public-library-ideas-and-responses/reopening-during-coronavirus
- Article from Designing libraries on the safe reopening of libraries http://designinglibraries.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=1677
- News item from Libraries Connected on the recovery of public library services https://www.librariesconnected.org.uk/news/safety-first-recovery-library-services
- Guidance from the Netherlands Public Library Association on the protection and safety of library sector employees and visitors for when library branches are reopened https://mailchi.mp/75d312f57c24/eblida-newsletter-4155369?e=cf0fcc37d0#Netherlands
- Recommendations from the US Regents Public Library Advisory Council for Library Services during the Covid-19 Pandemic including safe handling of materials https://georgialibraries.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Recommendations-for-Library-Services-During-The-Covid-19-Pandemic.pdf
- Blog post about the Danish experience on reopening libraries “There is a crack in everything – that is how the light gets in” https://christianlauersen.net/2020/05/10/experiences-with-reopening-libraries-in-the-age-of-corona/
- Blog post on the official guidelines for the reopening of Danish libraries https://christianlauersen.net/2020/05/23/official-guidelines-for-reopening-of-the-danish-public-libraries/