SCONUL’s Strategy 2019-2022 identifies six major areas of challenge which libraries say they will need to address over the term of this strategy. These are:
- Budget constraints and the libraries’ broader role
- Operating in a hybrid world
- Developing the library infrastructure
- The cost of content: changing the model
- Capitalising on new technologies
- Leadership in complex environments
SCONUL supports members through:
Evidence: we seek, produce and share evidence to support decision-making and advocacy.
Explore: we explore medium and long-term issues and share the process and findings to inform planning.
Influence: we use our skills and resources to engage with stakeholders to influence their thinking, policies and activities.
Initiate: we bring our members together including with partners, to identify and develop new areas of work.
Deliver: we can deliver new services and respond to immediate challenges on behalf of the sector.
Lead: we work with members to identify strategic priorities for the sector and articulate the areas for action.
To deliver this work, we have established a number of strategic groups:
- Content Strategy Group
- Organisational Development Strategy Group
- Technology and Markets Strategy Group
- Trends and Futures Strategy Group
The strategy was developed in close consultation with members.